The upcoming Wild Festival in North Nibley, which was due to go ahead in mid-August, has been cancelled over fears of coronavirus transmission.
An anonymous source said: “A lot of elderly and vulnerable folk in Nibley – some of whom are continuing to shield because of other health concerns such as cancer – are very worried.”
North Nibley’s Parish Council had been lobbying to cancel the event,
The festival’s website showed little guidance regarding the risks of coronavirus, inviting festivalgoers to “Come and join us in Gloucestershire for an amazing 2 day socially distanced live music family festival, with an optional 5 night school holidays camping break.”
The site featured a link to a page with coronavirus health and safety guidance, but when followed the page displayed a 404 error message.
The event had been set to run from August 16 to August 23, on the estate of Nibley House.
In a statement on Facebook, Wild Festival LTD said they had received ‘bundles’ of emails from local residents in the last day or so who were terrified of the potential threat to their health posed by the festival.
“We’re going to have to postpone the Gloucestershire event, we really can’t go there and cause the anxiety we’re clearly causing.
“We want to go there and support the local community, not be hated for putting them at risk.”